Wednesday, November 16, 2005

My Psalm

So I decided I that I would share with you a piece of me...Psalm 42 is "my Psalm" lol...yes it's everyone's but this is the one that I read over and over, in the really discouraging times and in the good...I'm not going to do it all at once, so here is the first 3 verses in two different translations...

(NIV)
1 As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?
3 My tears have been my food day and night,
while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?"


(The Message)
1 A white-tailed deer drinks from the creek;
I want to drink God,
deep draughts of God.
2 I'm thirsty for God--alive.
I wonder, "Will I ever make it--
arrive and drink in God's presence?"
3 I'm on a diet of tears--
tears for breakfast, tears for supper.
All day long
people knock at my door,
Pestering,
"Where is this God of yours?"

There is an older song which is somewhat based off this scripture "As the Deer"...you know how certain songs can cause your eyes to water every time you hear it? That is one of them for me....
A modern worship song? One of my favorites, we sang today in chapel:

Oh I want more of you,
Living Water rain down on me.
Oh I need more of you,
Living Breath of Life come and fill me up.

We are hungry,
We are hungry,
We are hungry for more of you.
We are thirtsy, Oh Jesus,
We are thirsty for more of you.

No it doesn't come directly from it, and there might be another Psalm it fits more directly, but it has the same main idea as these first verses. I love the Message here: "I want to drink God, deep draughts of God. I'm thirsty for God--alive."

sometimes we lose that desire...we sing that he is the air we breathe & our daily bread but hardly ever experience that desperate cry in our everyday life... I have learned to constantly ask God to take my world apart, which is a dangerous request. Sometimes it means he removes everything familiar in your life and breaks you before Him. It is very dangerous to be on the point where you lose the constant need for more of God. As you mature in your faith, it becomes much harder...you find yourself growing comfortable more often. There are not as many people to push you, you heard it all before...but if we spent every moment of every day with Him, would He ever run out of wonder & mystery?

This reminds me to ask Him to break me & make me need Him more...

When I am having a really rough time, I feel as David writes in verse 3...those few times when i cry on my pillow in the stillness of my room...

*...to be continued...*

No comments: