Tuesday, October 04, 2005

I'm sorry...

Apologies are important...it's amazing what can happen when I get over my stupid pride and ask for forgiveness and even admit that I'm wrong...Even the little things.

Like today, someone said something to me and they were honestly trying to be helpful and I totally blew them off and gave them the "I think you are totally stupid" look...after-the-fact I realized how mean I had been and I went and apologized...not some big fancy 'oh please forgive me because I did something horrible.' Just a simple "I'm so sorry for that look i gave you a minute ago. Thanks so much for trying to help."
That person seemed surprised, which kind of made me sad...shouldn't I be known as humble, I mean I shouldn't do something wrong in the first place but how many times do I forget to make something right, or (probably closer to the truth) CHOOSE not to...

that was just a simple example I know, but there have been so many other bigger situations where an apology on my part was all that was necessary.

That is one thing I admire about my dad. When we fight or disagree and he later realizes he was wrong in what he said or even did, he almost always comes to me with tears in his eyes and tells me that he is sorry...that has to take guts! To go to your teenage daughter and let her know that you realized you were wrong and she was right? Things like that are what I will never forget about him and that I want to make sure I do when I'm a parent...

I'm such a daddy's girl...

No comments: